Friday, February 6, 2009

U Blog 2

http://www.newhorizons.org/neuro/markus.htm

This article is about arts learning and the creative economy. Professional development for the creative economy is one that embeds "arts learning" into the organization's "innovation infrastructure" along with brain-compatible, self-managed, team-driven, collaborations that draw upon the benefits of intrinsic motivation for shaping projects that sustain the creative vision of the organization. "Arts learning" can help dissolve the line between play and work, the line that often gets adults into systemic difficulties.

Creative learning keeps the learner fully engaged about what they are learning. Classrooms that connect art and technology into projects with other environments is where people are getting the most effect out of learning. I know from a personal stance that learning hands-on in a creative environment helps me learn things more quickly and it sticks with me longer through the years. If I just read or listen to lectures or the teacher just demonstrates what is going on I really do not grasp the concept of what I am trying to learn. In a working environment you have to work with every thing yourself and the teachers need to start doing that from the start.

2 comments:

  1. I too enjoy working hands on when trying to learn to new things, If I can tinker with something or dive head first into a program and start playing with settings and seeing results in real time I can learn 10x quicker than I would reading about it in a book. The first question that pop'd into my mind when I read the article was: "How do these learning techniques worth with people who have learning disorders." Is someone who has ADD or ADHD going to be able to take advantage of this or is there a way to work around it and mold it to there needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, interesting article. Thanks for sharing the link. Dr. Keane

    ReplyDelete